Thursday 17 July 2014

The Lantern Carrier


The Lantern Carrier

By Kongyin

After I left home
I lost my way again and again
in pitch-dark night
once more abandoned
in the wasteland.

Burdened by my load
I wandered in a foreign land
night revealing ferocity
passers-by frosty
freezing raindrops
falling on me.

In the vast expanse of night
tears streamed down my cheeks.
Then across the road
I saw you appear.
“Come with me,” you said
“I will lead you on your way.”

In the flickering shadows
I followed you.
After long silent trudging
we came to a corner
where your raised lantern
illuminated a roof.

Dashing towards it
I realized you had not
brought me to a guesthouse
but to the very door
of my own home.

Turning
I saw you vanish
into the distant wilderness
lantern in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment